Whether you want to create a brand new garden, tackle an awkward area or are simply looking for an inspired new planting scheme my approach is pretty straightforward really. After a no obligation phone call to discuss your thoughts and explain a bit more about how I work I will arrange to visit you to walk round the garden together, show you some of my designs and agree with you what it is that you want from your garden space.
So here’s what I do in a bit more detail:
- Initial meeting to brainstorm your ideas, explain how I work and to show you examples of other gardens that I have created.
- I will give you a written report outlining our conversation to show that I have really listened to you and understood what you are looking for.
- When you are happy that you want to go ahead I will carry out a garden survey or recommend a chartered surveyor if the garden is very large or the levels too complex.
- I will produce your garden design in the form of a garden layout plan to discuss with you.
- I will then produce a planting plan and plant schedule(shopping list), taking into account your garden location, your tastes and your budget.
- I’ll introduce you to two or three landscapers, BALI (British Association of the Landscape Industry) or APL( Association of Professional Landscapers). I will brief them on the project and provide them with full build details in the form of both a Setting Out plan and a Scope of Works document.
- I will oversee the build to keep things on track and ensure that any issues are quickly resolved.
- I will source the plants from trusted local trade nurseries and arrange delivery and set out the plants ready for planting – either by you, your gardener or by one of our knowledgeable contractors.
- I would be happy to recommend a gardener in your area or if you would like to look after the new garden yourself I can provide a maintenance service which includes a schedule of what needs doing and when in the form of monthly emails tailored to your garden and the plants in it.
Of course fees will vary from the size of the garden to the amount of construction work needed and the materials used. For example a beautiful brick and flint wall will cost more than putting up some fencing and other features such as pergolas, garden buildings, patios and water features will require more installation work so will increase the cost. It can be hard to know what is sensible if you have not carried out a garden project before and as a well designed garden will add to the value of your home a guideline of 4 to 10 percent the value of your home is often used as a starting point. This is just a rough guide and with my years of experience I would be happy to advise you on a sensible amount to spend on your new garden. The projects that I typically work on range in budget from £10,000 to over £50,000 with the average being around £30,000.00 to £40,000.00 for the whole project start to finish. I am interested in both large and small projects so do give me a call if you would like a chat on 07525 772799.